City Year is proud to partner with Widener University, an innovative metropolitan university that combines academic quality with career preparation and a commitment to community service, offering a $5,000 Presidential Service Corps / Bonner Leader Program scholarship plus a Segal Education Award match.
A Widener University education connects curricula to societal issues through civic engagement. Dynamic teaching, active scholarship, personal attention, and experiential learning are key components of the Widener experience. A comprehensive doctorate-granting university, Widener offers liberal arts and sciences and professional programs leading to associate’s, baccalaureate, master’s, and doctoral degrees. The university’s campuses in Chester, Exton, and Harrisburg, PA, and Wilmington, DE, serve over 6,500 students.
Widener’s main campus is located in Chester, 14 miles south of Center City Philadelphia. Most Widener students come from the Philadelphia metropolitan area, and most alumni remain in the region after they graduate, serving the Philadelphia metropolitan area both professionally, and personally, contributing to the social, economic, and civic welfare of the region.
Benefits offered by Widener University
- $5,000 Presidential Service Corps / Bonner Leader Program scholar*
- Widener University will also match the Eli Segal Education Award for all City Year alumni, dollar for dollar up to $5,350. Widener will match the Eli Segal Award for eligible applicants each year for a maximum of two years.
|Number of Scholarships Awarded Annually
- All admitted full time undergraduate students will receive Presidential Service Corps / Bonner Leader Program Scholarship.
|Application Fee Waiver
|| Yes (free online application)|
* Recognition as Presidential Service Corps / Bonner Leader Program scholar: City Year corps members and alumni who apply as a full time undergraduate student to Widener University and are accepted based on Widener’s admissions requirements will be offered a position in the Presidential Service Corps/Bonner Leader Program, which includes a $5,000 scholarship.
Eligibility & Additional Info for full time undergraduate students
Eligibility & Additional Info for current City Year corps members
City Year Greater Philadelphia in conjunction with Widener's University College division will select up to 10 City Year corps members to take Introductory English and Math at no cost to the corps member. Corp members may register for courses based on availability and class size. Corp members will need to complete Widener’s Math placement test and submit an introductory writing sample. A student’s score on the Math placement test will guide placement into Math 101 or higher. Writing sample results will guide placement into English 100, English 101, or English 103 (for students admitted into the Honor’s Program in General Education.) If a corps member passes these classes with a "B” or better, they will be considered among the five slots available for scholarships for admission to Widener University and the Presidential Service Corps upon meeting the college’s admission requirements. City Year alumni may choose to go to another college or university if desired and Widener will make transcripts available for review in the admission process.
To Apply for the full time undergraduate program
- Click here to access Widener University's admissions website and apply online for free
- Deadline: Applications for admission are reviewed on a rolling basis, so, the sooner you apply, the sooner you’ll get a decision. There is no cost to apply. Once a student has completed the application process (including submission of all required documents), you will typically be notified within two weeks.
- To identify your City Year affiliation: To be considered for the scholarships described above, please contact the Undergraduate Office of Admissions and identify your City Year affiliation.
give a year Scholars
To Contact the Admissions Office