City Year is proud to partner with Widener University, an innovative metropolitan university that combines academic quality with career preparation and a commitment to community service, offering a $5,000 Presidential Service Corps / Bonner Leader Program scholarship plus a Segal Education Award match.
A Widener University education connects curricula to societal issues through civic engagement. Dynamic teaching, active scholarship, personal attention, and experiential learning are key components of the Widener experience. A comprehensive doctorate-granting university, Widener offers liberal arts and sciences and professional programs leading to associate’s, baccalaureate, master’s, and doctoral degrees. The university’s campuses in Chester, Exton, and Harrisburg, PA, and Wilmington, DE, serve over 6,500 students.
Widener’s main campus is located in Chester, 14 miles south of Center City Philadelphia. Most Widener students come from the Philadelphia metropolitan area, and most alumni remain in the region after they graduate, serving the Philadelphia metropolitan area both professionally, and personally, contributing to the social, economic, and civic welfare of the region.
Benefits offered by Widener University
- $5,000 Presidential Service Corps / Bonner Leader Program scholar*
- Widener University will also match the Eli Segal Education Award for all City Year alumni, dollar for dollar up to $5,350. Widener will match the Eli Segal Award for eligible applicants each year for a maximum of two years.
|Number of Scholarships Awarded Annually
- All admitted full time undergraduate students will receive Presidential Service Corps / Bonner Leader Program Scholarship.
Application Fee Waiver
| Yes (free online application)|
* Recognition as Presidential Service Corps / Bonner Leader Program scholar: City Year corps members and alumni who apply as a full time undergraduate student to Widener University and are accepted based on Widener’s admissions requirements will be offered a position in the Presidential Service Corps/Bonner Leader Program, which includes a $5,000 scholarship.
Eligibility & Additional Info for full time undergraduate students
To Apply for the full time undergraduate program
- Click here to access Widener University's admissions website and apply online for free
- Deadline: Applications for admission are reviewed on a rolling basis, so, the sooner you apply, the sooner you’ll get a decision. There is no cost to apply. Once a student has completed the application process (including submission of all required documents), you will typically be notified within two weeks.
- To identify your City Year affiliation: To be considered for the scholarships described above, please contact the Undergraduate Office of Admissions and identify your City Year affiliation.
give a year Scholars
To Contact the Admissions Office
Please note that all admissions and scholarship decisions are made by the educational institution. Corps members, alumni and staff interested in these scholarships must complete the full application process for the institution. Please pay close attention to deadlines, and consider beginning work on your applications early in the year.