City Year is proud to partner with Shimer College, a small independent four-year liberal arts college located just minutes
from downtown Chicago, offering 30% tuition scholarships.
Shimer College is a small independent
four-year liberal arts college located just minutes from downtown Chicago. Our
students develop their capacity for critical thought and interpersonal
communication through careful reading of the Great Books, which sustain a
life-long passion for learning. With small classes, a full-time teaching
faculty, and great books, Shimer offers a rare and enduring educational
Benefits offered by Shimer College
||30% off tuition|
|Number of Scholarships Awarded Annually
|Application Fee Waiver
Eligibility and Additional Information
- 30% Tuition Scholarship. The award will be equal to 30% of tuition for
up to 10 admitted City Year corps, alumni and staff members per year.
- Scholarships applicable to undergraduate
programs and renewable for up to 4 years.
- Scholarships awarded to City Year alumni for at least one year of service and City Year staff members employed for at least two years.
- Application fee will be waived for all City Year corps members, alumni, or staff.
- A one-year deferral for students admitted to the program who decide to serve additional time with City Year before starting with Shimer College.
- Applicants will be considered for additional merit-based awards depending on the strength of their application.
Shimer admits students
for both the fall and spring semesters. Students are usually
informed of admission decisions within four weeks of completion of all
To Identify and Verify Your City Year Affiliation
To Contact the Admissions Office
Please contact Elaine Vincent, by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or calling 312-235-3504.
Please note that all admissions and scholarship decisions are made by the educational institution. Corps members, alumni and staff interested in these scholarships must complete the full application process for the institution. Please pay close attention to deadlines, and consider beginning work on your applications early in the year.