Year Up Mentorship Program: About Year Up
Year Up is a national non-profit dedicated to empowering urban young adults (18 - 24) to reach their full potential through an intensive year-long program of technical and professional skill building, corporate internships, and college credits.
There are many ways to play a role in the transformative journeys our students undergo. Mentors provide crucial guidance, perspective and serve as a sounding board to our young adults just entering the professional world.
Mentors are carefully matched with a Year Up student after the student successfully completes the first six months of our program (the full-time classroom phase) and moves into a six-month corporate internship.
Why Become a Year Up Mentor?
• To make a difference in a young person's life
• To provide support during the challenging transition to a career path and to college
• To become part of the Year Up Mentoring community for networking opportunities with like-minded professionals
What Makes a Great Year Up Mentor?
• The ability and desire to work with young adults (ages 18-24) from diverse urban backgrounds
• A positive attitude and good listening skills
• The willingness to share your knowledge and experiences
• Patience, understanding, and a sense of humor
What is the time Commitment?
• 9 month mentorship
• 1 email exchange or phone call per week
• 1 face to face meeting per month (i.e. lunch, coffee)
We are currently searching for 14 mentors for our students. If you are interested or for more information contact Kyleen Niccolls at: firstname.lastname@example.org; or (206) 441-4465. And to learn more about Year Up please visit www.yearup.org.