What is 18 Minute Networking?
Purpose: The event seeks to facilitate a dialogue about Leadership after City Year (LACY) and give corps members the opportunity to meet and network with City Year alumni and friends, who have found success in fields that current corps members hope to break into following their year of service. The event hopes to spark a communication that provides corps members with an honest perspective of what to expect when entering the Professional/Academic fields.
Structure: One - three alumni who specialize in a field will anchor a table and lead a small group discussion about the steps they have taken since graduating City Year that has led them to their current work. After each 18 minute session, corps members will rotate to a different table and participate in a new discussion. At the end of the event, there will be some time for alumni to mingle and network with one another.
What to be prepared to discuss as a Facilitator:
● Big picture topics regarding your field of expertise.
● Day-to-Day functions of an entry-level employee.
● How to present yourself and prepare for an interview.
● The general organization and structure of your field.
● How to relate City Year experience to success in careers in your field.
What materials should Facilitators bring to the event?
● 1-2 page document or pamphlet discussing your organization or topic
● Business Cards
● No extra materials, booklets, banners, A/V equipment related to your specific organization are necessary.What to expect from corps members:
● 3-5 prepared questions related to your presenting topic.
● Full attention and respect.
● Proper business casual attire.
● DATE: Friday, December 7th, 2012
● TIME: Alumni Reception from 5-5:30 pm; Facilitator Registration begins at 5:30 PM
● LOCATION: 36 S. Wabash Ave.