Aspire Teacher Residency - Applications Due March 11, 2016
Wednesday, February 10, 2016
Aspire Teacher Residency: Train to Teach With One of the Nation’s Top-Performing Public School Systems – APPLICATIONS DUE MARCH 11, 2016
Aspire Public Schools, California’s top-performing large, high-poverty school system, changes the odds for low-income students. Currently, Aspire educates over 15,000 students in 38 schools in California and Memphis, TN and makes a promise to every single Aspire student: College for Certain. Over the past six years, nearly 100% of Aspire’s seniors graduated with admission to a four-year college or university.
Aspire believes the that teacher performance is the single most important school influence in improving student achievement and that it’s the organization’s job to prepare, support and develop great teachers. The Aspire Teacher Residency (ATR), Aspire’s teacher-preparation program was designed to do just that – prepare excellent teachers by pairing theory and practice through master's level coursework and classroom practicum. The goal is to provide Teacher Residents with the theory and give them the opportunity to apply it in practice with the support of a successful Mentor Teacher.
The ATR program offers:
- An MA in Curriculum and Instruction and teaching license from University of the Pacific in one year
- A $13,500 stipend, plus medical benefits, for the first year
- The opportunity to work in a classroom with a highly-effective Mentor Teacher four days/week for an entire school year
- Priority hiring for a full-time, paid teaching position at an Aspire school and tuition-reimbursement benefits for Residents who successfully complete the first year
- ATR-Memphis Residents may also receive a $600/month housing stipend in year 1 and relocation reimbursement up to help with moving costs to Memphis
Residency placements are available throughout California and in Memphis, TN. Applications for the 2016/17 program are due March 11, 2016. For more information, go to: http://aspirepublicschools.org/join/atr/ or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.