City Year is proud to partner with the Academy for Urban School Leadership so our alumni can continue to make a difference in classrooms and in the lives of students. This partnership reflects the shared visions and values of both organizations, and their belief that young people can keep students on track to graduate from high school and pursue post-secondary education. City Year strengthens an applicant’s competitiveness and chances for being selected as a Teacher Resident.
Academy for Urban School Leadership (AUSL) is is a nonprofit organization whose mission is to improve student
achievement in chronically failing schools, primarily in Chicago, through its
disciplined transformation process, built on a foundation of specially trained
AUSL teachers. AUSL’s Chicago Teacher Residency is a one-year, paid, full-time
urban teacher training program that will prepare you for a career as a Chicago
Public Schools teacher with the training, skills, and strategies to empower
your students to pursue their dreams. During the training year, work with an
experienced mentor teacher in a supportive environment and receive regular,
structured feedback and learn strategies and techniques that will transform
your teaching practice. Residents develop proficiency in creating and
sustaining positive learning environments; preparing, planning, and
implementing curriculum; differentiating instruction; and using progressive
teaching strategies and best practices.
City Year Chicago partners with AUSL through corps member teams who deliver literacy tutoring in AUSL’s elementary turnaround schools.
The City Year experience is a strong indicator of future success in the Academy for Urban School Leadership program and serving a year with City Year strengthens a candidate’s application and chances for being selected as a resident teacher.
Benefits offered by AUSL:
- A full school year of training in a Chicago Public Schools classroom, under the guidance of an experienced mentor teacher;
- A Master’s degree from National Louis University and eligibility for Illinois Educator License in one year;
- Financial support for the training year, including a $30,000 salary ($40,000 for Mathematics).
- Post-training job placement opportunity as a Chicago Public Schools teacher, working in an AUSL-managed elementary or high school
- Click here for details on how to apply for the 2014-2015 training year.
- There are five rolling admissions application deadlines, the final one of which is May 1, 2014.
- City Year corps members and alumni should highlight their City Year experience on their resume as part of application materials and contact Nachole Williams, Recruiter, at email@example.com to identify your City Year affiliation after submission.
To Contact the Admissions Office
Please note that all admissions decisions are made by Academy for Urban School Leadership. Corps members and alumni interested in AUSL must complete the full application process.