LSU is proud to be the first public university in the country to become a City Year University Partner. Civic engagement is among the University’s highest priorities, which was demonstrated during its Sesquicentennial Celebration and identified as a major pillar of Flagship 2020: LSU Transforms Lives, a 10-year plan to continue LSU’s place of national prominence in higher education.
Enriched by Louisiana's natural and cultural distinctiveness, the community of learning at Louisiana's national Flagship University readies students to meet the environmental, social, economic, scientific, creative, and educational challenges that confront us locally and globally in the twenty-first century. Learning together, the students who begin their intellectual journey with us and the faculty whose research translates discovery into purpose make LSU a beacon of excellence. LSU represents the largest institution of higher education in the state and is the only public university in the state to be designated a Carnegie Research University with Very High Research Activity. Among a handful of distinguished universities to enjoy Land, Sea, and Space Grant status, LSU offers vital research opportunities for graduate and undergraduate students as it transforms new technology into enterprise and lends expertise to solve endemic problems.
Benefits offered by LSU
| Application Fee Award - Undergrad programs
| Application Fee Award - Graduate programs
| Enrollment Deferral
|| Undergrad only
Eligibility & Additional Info
- Application Fee Awards granted to City Year corps members and alumni who have completed at least one term of AmeriCorps service or a City Year staff member employed for at least two years, and admitted to an LSU graduate program.
- NOTE: To avoid any confusion with the Admissions Office, do not request a " fee waiver"; please request an application fee award following the processes below.
- Deferral for undergraduate degree programs for accepted students who continue to serve with City Year (note: deferments not offered for graduate degrees)
How to Apply to an Undergraduate Program:
- Begin an online application at www.lsu.edu/admissions. Save the application prior to submission.
- City Year verification: To request an application fee award, a service verification letter must be requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with "LSU Undergraduate: service verification letter" in the subject line. Within the email, include the site where you served and your corps graduation month and year. This letter will be sent to the Admissions Office (email@example.com) and added to applicant file. Once City Year affiliation has been confirmed, the application fees will be paid from the Academic Support Fund.
- Submit official high school transcript and official ACT/SAT test scores to complete application process.
How to Apply to a Graduate Program:
- Complete the online application at www.lsu.edu/gradapply. Save the application prior to submission.
- Before submitting the application (when you reach the point that payment is necessary), request City Year verification. To request an application fee award, a service verification letter must be requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with "LSU Graduate: service verification letter" in the subject line. Within the email, include the site where you served and your corps graduation month and year. This letter will be sent to the Admissions Office (email@example.com) and added to applicant file.
- Once your participation in City Year is confirmed, the application fees will be paid from the Academic Support Fund and you will be contacted by the Admissions Office to access your application in order to complete the online submission process.
- Submit one official transcript from each college or university attended; and submit official GRE or GMAT test scores (as applicable) to complete the application process.
Admission Deferments for City Year
For undergraduate degree programs: Once a student has been admitted to the University and wishes to defer their admission status to a future term, the student must:
- Request a deferment in writing to the Executive Director of Undergraduate Admissions and Student Aid. The request should indicate the reason for the deferment (City Year service) and the future semester to which he or she wishes to defer.
- Once the request is received and reviewed, a decision will be mailed to the student.
Deferments are not offered for graduate degree programs. City Year corps members, alumni, and staff are encouraged to reapply to the University. At that time, these persons will be eligible to receive the application fee award
To Contact the Admissions Office
To contact LSU Community University Partnership
- Applicants with questions about the status of your application fee award are encouraged to e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for questions or points of clarification.
Please note that all admissions and scholarship decisions are made by the educational institution. Corps members, alumni and staff interested in these scholarships must complete the full application process for the institution. Please pay close attention to deadlines, and consider beginning work on your applications early in the year.