City Year is proud to partner with New Schools for Baton Rouge so our alumni can continue to lead on transformational change in education beyond their years as AmeriCorps members. This partnership reflects the shared visions and values of both organizations, and their belief that young people can keep students on track to graduate from high school and pursue post-secondary education. City Year strengthens an applicant’s competitiveness and chances for being selected for lead teacher or teacher residency positions by one of New Schools for Baton Rouge’s many hiring partners in the Baton Rouge area.
New Schools for Baton Rouge (NSBR) is a community partnership for education that brings together talent and resources in order to deliver excellent schools to students and families in Baton Rouge. NSBR's mission is to ensure every student in Baton Rouge the opportunity to attend an excellent school of their choice. As part of a unified strategy to staff these schools with 1,250 excellent teachers, City Year corps members and alumni can participate as teachers-in-residence or lead teachers with the school or partner program that best fits their career trajectory and professional goals.
Opportunities with NSBR partners include direct hiring by school leaders, combined Master’s and residency programs, and alternative certification while gaining experience as a lead teacher. No prior teaching experience or a teaching license is required for many opportunities, while candidates with teaching experience may chose a partnership focused on advancing their career through leadership development.
The City Year experience is a strong indicator of future success as an urban classroom teacher, and serving a year with City Year strengthens an applicant’s application and chances for being selected as a resident teacher in one of NSBR’s partner schools and programs. Follow these links to learn more about the resources and partnerships NSBR has to offer for novice teachers as well as veteran teachers.
Benefits offered by applying through New Schools for Baton Rouge
- 1-on-1 talent matching to potential hiring organizations with missions, school models, demographics, and professional development approaches that align with what each individual applicant is looking for.
- A personal advocate for your candidacy and point of contact who will serve as a thought partner throughout the interview process and as you entertain offers from various hiring partners
- Access to a budding network of innovative educators, all of whom are committed to advancing a unified effort to improve educational outcomes for students in Baton Rouge
- Professional and diverse colleagues who live and lead in Baton Rouge and who are passionate about retaining educators in the Red Stick
- Click here to access New Schools for Baton Rouge's connect form and learn more about how to apply for position swith hiring partners that may be a good fit.
- Start dates for NSBR’s hiring partners follow the school calendars. Most partners accept applicants through June for a July start and new positions open up again in September for the following school year.
- Your first step to be matched with teaching opportunities is to complete the connect form linked above. Completing the form will allow you to identify your City Year affiliation.
To contact New Schools for Baton Rouge regarding opportunities for City Year alumni
Please connect with Grace Andrews, Director of Talent Solutions and Innovations at 225.288.7188 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that all admissions decisions are made by New Schools for Baton ROuge. AmeriCorps members and alumni interested in applying must complete the full application process.