City Year is proud to partner with Nevada Teacher Corps (a TNTP Teaching Fellows Program) so our alumni can continue to lead on transformational change on pressing social problems. This partnership reflects the shared visions and values of both organizations, and their belief that young people can keep students on track to graduate from high school and pursue post-secondary education. City Year strengthens an applicant’s competitiveness and chances for being selected for as a Nevada Teacher Corps Fellow.
Nevada Teacher Corps is an alternative teaching certification program offered through TNTP Teaching Fellows, which recruits and trains talented career changer and recent college graduates to be outstanding teachers in high-need schools across the country. This is a powerful moment for public education in Nevada. With more than $100 million in new investments, a plan to expand all-day kindergarten to every school in the state, financial incentives for new teachers and those in hard-to-staff roles, and more, Nevada is making a huge commitment to giving every child a great education. At the same time, our student population is growing, thanks to vibrant businesses and an affordable housing market. We face a critical need for great teachers to make the promise of education a reality for all our students.
The program is run by TNTP, a national nonprofit organization working to end educational inequality, in partnership with leading public school systems and states and more than 35,000 Teaching Fellows have been trained to date. Click here to learn more about becoming a great teacher.
Our training is radically simple: focused practice on key skills to get new teachers off to a strong start. At every step, we emphasize:
- Intensive Classroom Practice: Where traditional teacher preparation leaves little time for hands-on skill-building, our innovative training is centered around actual teaching experience and focused practice on core skills, such as creating a positive classroom culture and delivering content clearly.
- Expert Coaching: You can’t improve if you don’t know how you are doing. Beginning in summer training and continuing throughout your first year, our expert coaches provide constructive feedback to help you grow quickly.
- Personalized Training: We set clear expectations and continually assess your progress as a new teacher, identifying areas of growth and customizing coursework to address those needs. Whether you are struggling with lesson planning or striving to improve your classroom management skills, we tailor our support and training to help you quickly get up to speed in that area.
- Click here to learn more about our training.
- Click here to access our online application and more details on our selection process. Applications are evaluated on a rolling basis, so apply early to increase your chance of admission. All applicants are asked to note if they are City Year corps members or alumni.
- The tentative start date for Nevada Teacher Corps is June 13, 2017. Please compare the start date for Nevada Teacher Corps to your City Year graduation date. Corps members should avoid applying to Nevada Teacher Corps with a conflict, since being accepted into a program that starts before your City Year graduation would end your term of service with City Year which could have implications such as losing benefits available to you as a City Year/AmeriCorps alum.