City Year is proud to partner with The University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Education, one of the nation’s premier schools of education known for excellence in both qualitative and quantitative research, offering a $13,500 scholarship.
The University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Education (Penn GSE) is one of the nation's premier schools of education. Penn GSE has a long history of excellence in qualitative research, language and literacy studies, practitioner inquiry and teacher education, and has more recently developed remarkable strengths in quantitative research, policy studies, evaluation, higher education, and psychology and human development. The school is also notable for its entrepreneurism, developing custom degree programs for practicing professionals and unique partnerships with local educators.
Benefits offered by Penn GSE
|Number of Scholarships Awarded Annually
|Application Fee Waiver
||GSE does not have an application fee
||One-year deferral (Master's degree programs only)
*Highest Merit Scholarship awarded
Eligibility & Additional Info
- Scholarship awarded to up to 2 City Year corps members or alumni for at least one year of service or City Year staff members employed for at least two years.
- Deadline for scholarship consideration: Must apply online and have all supplemental admission materials submitted by March 1, 2016 to be considered for the City Year National Service Scholarship.
- All recipients must meet the University of Pennsylvania admission criteria.
- Scholarship applicable towards any full-time Master's degree program.
- A one-year deferral for students admitted to a graduate program who decide to serve with City Year before starting their study with Penn GSE. Deferment is only applicable to Master’s degree programs.
- Applicants will be considered for additional merit-based awards depending on the strength of the application.
- Click here to access Penn GSE's admissions website and apply online.
- Deadline: Applicants must apply online and have all supplemental admission materials submitted by March 1, 2016 to be considered for the City Year National Service Scholarship.
- To identify & verify your City Year affiliation:
- Answer yes to the question, "Are you a City Year corps member, alumna/us, or staff member?” on the online application.
- City Year verification: To get the application fee waived and to be considered for the scholarship, a service verification letter must be requested by emailing email@example.com with "UPenn GSE" in the subject line. Within the email, include the site where you served and your corps graduation month and year. This letter will be sent electronically by City Year to Admissions Office and added to your applicant file.
To Contact the Admissions Office
Please note that all admissions and scholarship decisions are made by the educational institution. Corps members, alumni and staff interested in these scholarships must complete the full application process for the institution. Please pay close attention to deadlines, and consider beginning work on your applications early in the year.