City Year is proud to partner with Simmons College, a pioneering liberal arts university with renowned coeducational graduate programs offering 25-50% tuition scholarships.
Over 100 years ago Simmons was the nation's first institute of higher learning to offer training for clinical social workers. Simmons also was at the forefront of educating students for medical social work and managed care practice. Today, the School of Social Work (SSW) provides a rigorous clinical social work education for men and women, including a nationally accredited master of social work (M.S.W.) program. The school's progressive, hands-on curriculum integrates education and practice with social justice values, multicultural perspectives, and a strong emphasis on field education. As clinician activists, SSW students, faculty and alumni all work to develop solutions to social injustice through their teaching, research, clinical practice, and community work.
Benefits offered by Simmons College School of Social Work
||25-50% Tuition Scholarship*
|Number of Scholarships Awarded Annually
|Application Fee Waiver
*Part-time (5 or more credits) and full-time students (10 or more credits) are eligible to be considered for this scholarship.
Eligibility & Additional Info
tuition scholarship amount will be between 25% to 50%. The award from Simmons College School of Social Work will be
between 25% to 50% tuition discount of the entire MSW program. The minimum
award amount will be equal to 25% ($15,675) of the total tuition. The maximum
award amount will be equal to 50% ($31,350) of the total tuition.
College School of Social work will award up to 5 scholarships every year to City Year corps members and alumni for at least 1 year of service, and City Year staff members employed for at
least 2 years.
- Part-time (5 or more credits) and full-time students (10 or more credits)
are eligible to be considered for this scholarship.
- Admitted students will be permitted to defer enrollment by one year if they decide to stay with City Year for additional time before starting their studies. Students who are awarded the give a year scholarship may not defer their award, but will be eligible for full reconsideration for the new term he or she defers to.
- Applicants will be considered for additional merit-based awards depending on the strength of the application and availability of other Simmons scholarship funds.
- Click here to access the Simmons College School of Social Work's admissions website and apply online.
- To identify your City Year affiliation: Please contact the Admissions Office to identify yourself as a City Year applicant and get an application fee waiver code to include when submitting your online application. Please also self-identify on your resume and/or personal statement. City Year applicants should also identify themselves through a check-box on the online application.
- City Year verification: To get the application fee waived and to be considered for the scholarship, a service verification letter must be requested by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with "Simmons MSW" in the subject line. Within the email, include the site where you served and your corps graduation month and year. This letter will be sent electronically by City Year to Admissions Office and added to your applicant file.
To Contact the Admissions Office
Please note that all admissions and scholarship decisions are made by the educational institution. Corps members, alumni and staff interested in these scholarships must complete the full application process for the institution. There may be a supplementary application process for scholarship awards. Please pay close attention to deadlines, and consider beginning work on your applications early in the year.