City Year is proud to partner with the University of Southern California School of Social Work to award six $15,000 Master of Social Work scholarships to City Year corps members, alumni or staff, plus additional scholarship opportunities.
The University of Southern California School of Social Work consistently ranks among the nation's top accredited social work graduate programs in U.S. News & World Report. A recognized leader in academic innovation, online education, experiential learning and translational research, the school prepares students for leadership roles in public and private organizations that serve individuals, families and communities in need. The school now graduates nearly 40 percent of all social workers in California and with the launch of its Virtual Academic Center, an online master's program, MSW@USC has become the first truly national program in the profession. The school has also gained national distinction for its military social work program, the first of its kind at a research university.
The school's master's program provides advanced preparation for a career serving those in need. The school trains social workers who will provide life-enhancing services, just as it develops leaders who will influence policy to create a more just and humane world. Whatever role they choose, graduates of this program are prepared to anticipate and address the issues that matter most… in our homes, in our communities and in our world.
USC School of Social Work Scholarship Details
|$15,000 toward tuition per year
|Number of Scholarships Awarded Annually
On ground Master of Social Work: 2
Online Master of Social Work (MSW@USC): 4*
|City Year Service Scholarship Amount (if accepted applicant is not offered the $15K scholarship)
|$3,750 tuition per semester; part-time students will receive award starting in 3rd semester.
|Number of City Year Service Scholarships Awarded Annually
|On ground Master of Social Work:
5 per academic year
Web-based Master of Social Work: Unlimited
|Application Fee Waiver
* One $15K scholarship is awarded each cohort to a City Year corps member, alumnus/na or staff member who enrolls in the full-time online MSW degree program. The money is allocated in equal halves for two semesters.Up to four City Year corps members, alumni or staff members will receive the scholarship in a given year with no more than one person receiving the scholarship per incoming cohort.
** See the "To Apply" section below for instructions on how to apply for application fee waiver.
Eligibility & Additional Info
- MSW students begin the on ground program in the fall semester; there is no spring or summer matriculation.
Click here for additional deadline details and to apply online.
- The admission requirements for the online Master in Social Work (MSW@USC) are the same as those for the on ground program
- Click here for deadline details and to apply online
To apply for the fee waiver, in the USC Online Graduate Admission Application under question 11 for "Fee Waiver Options," select "I am a US Citizen/Permanent Resident, and paying the fee will cause financial hardship." After doing so, please contact the Office of Admissions at 213-740-2013 or firstname.lastname@example.org to verify your affiliation with City Year. You will not need to submit additional documents providing financial hardship. Please disregard the e-mail that USC Graduate Admissions will send to you.
To Verify Your City Year Affiliation
- To be considered for the USC School of Social Work scholarship, please contact the USC School of Social Work Admissions Office at email@example.com or 213.740.2013, reference our partnership and let them know you served with City Year.
If you are applying to the online Master in Social Work (MSW@USC), and you want to be considered for the USC School of Social Work scholarship, please contact the Virtual Academic Center (VAC) Admissions at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-877-700-4MSW (1-877-700-4679). Please be sure to reference our partnership and let your admissions counselor know that you served with City Year. You can also click here to quickly provide information and have one of our VAC admissions counselors contact you.
- City Year verification: To get the application fee waived and to be considered for the scholarship, a service verification letter must be requested by emailing email@example.com with "USC School of Social Work (Please indicate Online or On ground)" in the subject line. Within the email, include the site where you served and your corps graduation month and year. This letter will be sent electronically by City Year to Admissions Office and added to your applicant file.
To Contact the Admissions Office
Meet the City Year National Service Scholars
Please note that USC makes all admissions and scholarship decisions. Corps members, alumni and staff interested in these scholarships must complete USC’s full application process. Please pay close attention to deadlines and consider beginning work on your application early in the year.