Website Apex for Youth
Apex for Youth empowers underserved Asian and immigrant youth from low-income families in NYC to unlock their potential and a world of possibility. Through programming focusing on health and well-being, education, and community engagement, Apex for Youth creates transformative social connections and celebrates cultural identity to build the confidence and self-efficacy of future generations.
Apex serves approximately 2,000 students annually from Kindergarten through their post-secondary years. We provide children and young adults with opportunities to develop strong relationships with adults who volunteer as consistent and caring mentors and role models.
Apex’s Middle School Mentoring Program (MSMP) addresses needs of middle school students through one-on-one caring relationships with adult volunteers through a unique blend of mentorship and group programming. The MSMP curriculum focuses on a mentee’s education, health and well-being, and engagement with their community. MSMP takes place on Saturdays from September – June. There is also less frequent summer programming for youth. The MSMP Manhattan Coordinator reports to the MSMP Manhattan Manager.
- Own all logistics for program execution, including coordinating the planning and delivery of group events and field trips and managing clear and timely communication to mentors/mentees around program announcements and event RSVPs, in collaboration with the MSMP Manhattan Manager and MSMP Brooklyn Manager
- Develop rapport with program pairs, work to build positive, supportive, and meaningful relationships with youth/teens and volunteers
- Maintain caseload of 30-40 pairs; escalate high-needs youth, volunteers, and relationship challenges to MSMP Manhattan Manager as needed
- Support development of curriculum, plan, and facilitate Saturday workshops that ensure an impactful program experience for youth and volunteers
- Assist in volunteer and youth screening, matching, and positive closure processes
- Document all communication in Salesforce and update attendance data after events
- Manage collection of evaluation data from youth to measure youth impact, and volunteers to ensure a positive volunteer experience
- Proactively share programmatic feedback and contribute to ideas for program roadmap
- Complete other duties as needed
- BA or BS required
- Conversational language proficiency in Mandarin is required
- Experience working with youth required; experience with middle school youth preferred
- 1+ years of experience in a social service or community organization setting preferred
- Strong oral and written communication skills, with ability to create genuine relationships
- Strong organizational skills, including attention to detail
- Ability to multitask in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to work independently and take ownership of assigned responsibilities
- Positive and bright disposition with “can do” attitude
- Proactive nature and self starter, ability to problem-solve autonomously
- Candidates are expected to be able to commute to the Apex office in Manhattan at least 2 days a week
- Ability to work Saturdays in Manhattan as needed, and take Sunday and Monday as the weekend
How to Apply
Please send your resume and cover letter to Amy Zhao at firstname.lastname@example.org and include “MSMP Manhattan Coordinator” in the subject line.
To apply for this job please visit apexforyouth.org.
City Year Detroit’s Leadership Breakfast brought together local leaders from the business, education, and philanthropic sectors to discuss education...Read more about $55,000 Raised at City Year Detroit's Leadership Breakfast
Harrison Evers is a first year AmeriCorps member serving with City Year Buffalo as a student success coach, where he...Read more about Perspectives from a first year AmeriCorps member
City Year is releasing a new resource for practitioners, The Power of Student Success Coaches in Community Schools. This guide...Read more about The power of student success coaches in schools
We are thrilled to share some exciting news regarding City Year Dallas’ continued commitment to providing invaluable support to students...Read more about City Year Dallas Uplift Announcement