Mastery Charter Schools
City Year is proud to partner with Mastery Charter Schools, so our alums can continue to impact the lives of students in Philadelphia.
Mastery Charter Schools offers City Year alums
The Mastery Teaching Residency offers aspiring educators a unique opportunity to receive high-quality teacher training while gradually taking on more teaching responsibility. During this multi-year program, you spend your first year in a full-time support teaching position receiving mentorship and professional development from your school leaders, Graduate School Faculty Partners, and our central office-based coaches to help you become an effective teacher. As a Resident and Mastery team member, you will make decisions, create a joyful learning community and engage in a positive and professional workplace. After a successful first year in the residency, you will be prepared to transition into a full-time lead teaching position at Mastery.
Teaching Residents will also receive the following Benefits:
- Full-time salary and benefits ($44,500 as a support teacher in the first year; if promoted, starting lead teacher salary of $55,000 in the second year); up to $5,000 in tuition reimbursement after year 1
- An opportunity to engage with expert teachers and best practices through extensive weekly training, real-time practice sessions, and actionable feedback in proven, highly-effective teaching techniques
- A Pennsylvania or New Jersey Teaching Certificate (depending on placement state and successful completion of Praxis and Basic Skills tests) at the end of Year 1; A Master of Arts in Teaching (MAT) at the end of Year 2 from Relay Graduate School of Education or American University; New educator support from Mastery, Relay, and/or Urban Teachers (e.g. heavily subsidized tuition)
- This role is eligible for up to $5,000 for relocation expenses!
Education, Experience, and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree required with a record of personal, professional, and/or academic achievement; Minimum undergraduate GPA of 3.0 (Please reach out if your undergraduate GPA is below a 3.0)
- If currently in school, expected Bachelor’s degree by June 2022
Official copy of transcript is required for application to Relay Graduate School of Education or American University
- Must meet minimum eligibility requirements for PA/NJ teacher certification- read more about PA certification requirements here; read more about NJ certification requirements here
- Commitment to and experience (preferable) working with underserved communities
- A strong sense of professional responsibility; genuine interest, belief, and care for students’ personal and academic success
- The ability to motivate, support, and challenge students in a student-centered, standards-driven classroom community
- Commitment to professional growth, self-reflection, receptiveness to feedback, and a desire to continuously improve and effectively address challenges
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provide small and whole group instruction to students for academic support
- Work with lead teachers to do the following:
- Implement curriculum and utilize classroom routines and procedures with consistency
- Analyze student assessment data to measure progress and inform instruction
- Build relationships and maintain regular Collaborate to discuss student work, share best practices, and ensure student mastery of standards
- Other responsibilities as requested
- Attend practice sessions and an evening academic content class weekly
- Successfully complete PA/NJ teacher certification requirements and Relay or Urban Teachers academic coursework Have desire and commitment to teach and serve Mastery’s school communities for at least three years after the Residency
In addition to the teaching residency, Mastery Charter Schools encourages City Year alums to apply for the literacy support teacher, math support teacher, assistant dean, attendance manager and building substitute positions.
Mastery Charter School teachers will receive the following benefits:
- more than 250 hours of professional development each year
- performance-based pay
- 85-95% of the cost of health insurance covered for you and your whole family
- 5% match to your retirement fund
- Please go here to see all of our Benefits offerings!
Why City Year loves Mastery Charter Schools
Mastery Charter Schools is a growing nonprofit charter public school network of more than 24 schools serving over 14,500 students recognized nationally for its work in school turnarounds and dramatic student achievement gains. Mastery integrates modern management and effective educational practices to drive student achievement. Its teachers are relentlessly committed to student achievement and continually improve their craft through frequent feedback, coaching and collaborative support. Instruction is grounded in a common pedagogical model and guided by focused standards-based curricula. Assessments are aligned to clear objectives, and data is used to direct instruction. Mastery believes educational inequity is the most pressing social problem facing our country and the civil rights issue of our day. Mastery exists to help solve this problem. Our ultimate goal is to create a model urban school district that serves all students with excellence. We are organized around one driving mission: All students learn the academic and personal skills they need to be truly prepared for postsecondary success and able to pursue their dreams. To fulfill this mission, we attend to the whole child – academically and emotionally – matching high expectations for students with high levels of support. This Mastery-City Year partnership reflects the shared visions and values of both organizations and the belief that committed young people can provide an excellent education for all students. Serving with City Year strengthens an applicant’s competitiveness for openings at Mastery Charter Schools.
To identify your City Year affiliation
City Year alums should indicate their experience with City Year in the “affiliations” field of the application.
For more information
Please note that all admissions decisions are made by Mastery Charter Schools. AmeriCorps members and alums interested in the program must complete the full application process.